Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Creek mist

We are beginning with sunshine but there is a streak of cloud to the East.  Mist is hanging over the flat water.  The dawn mist that sublimes from the creek is one of my favorite things about winter in tidewater.  So far, a junco, a wren, and two nuthatches have visited.  The feeder and patio are still in shade.

As the sun reaches the feeder more birds appear.  Carolina wrens are usually loners so I was surprised when two shared the feeder.  Nuthatches, chickadees, titmice, and house finches joined them,  On the ground, squirrels and white-throated sparrows clawed through the mulch. 

I love it when the camera surprises me.  I saw a bird in the cedar and then it flew to the feeder and then away.  It had a gray breast so I thought it might be a titmouse, but I got two photos which reveal it was a yellow-rumped warbler.

More clouds appeared in the afternoon and the sun set in a blaze.  The day was very warm, shirt-sleeve weather.  I bet it will rain tomorrow.  The warmth brought out little moths that were all over the window outside the lighted kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment