Monday, March 11, 2013

Overnight robbery

The feeder lid was up this morning.  A squirrel sat beneath, picking seeds out of the mulch, apparently unaware of the bonanza above.  Juncos and sparrows also foraged while nervous titmice, chickadees, and nuthatches fed from the feeder perch.  One chickadee was bold enough to look inside, but not to risk hopping down into the feeder.  The culprit is presumably a raccoon, especially as the pool cover looks like something large has been on it.

Meanwhile something underwater created a wake moving upstream and disturbing the mirror surface.  It seemed more like one individual rather than a school of fish.

This afternoon I found an eggshell, probably a dove, that clearly had been opened from the inside. I did not know they nested this early.

Mallards are pairing up but the bachelors are harassing the couples.  A male hooded merganser was out fishing.  Later a female appeared.  A male kingfisher let out a cackle practically in my ear.  I jumped and it banked and landed upstream.  The sun was behind it and lighting a haze.  After a while it moved downstream from me where I could see it better.  I think It caught several fish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment