Friday, September 20, 2013

Warmer


Cardinals and finches on the feeder, jays in the oak, and wrens flitting around the bushes.  A red-spotted purple worked its way through the hillside bushes.  They also touch down on the water.  Honeybees joined the bumblebees on the rosemary.  A hummer fed - this one hovers constantly.

As I crossed Lesner Bridge this afternoon, a pelican crossed over me.  Coming back, the tide was way out and old pilings poked up out of the bay. An egret was perched in the tiptop of a small tree on Pleasure House Creek, looking very insecure.

When I got home in the late afternoon of a truly gorgeous day, I was greeted by a brown thrasher.  A wren scurried under the pea vine while four cardinals held court.  Then I realized that one bird was not a finch, but a returning sparrow.  I believe it's a song sparrow though it doesn't have a dark chest spot. 



No comments:

Post a Comment