Friday, December 19, 2014

Fishing frenzy

Something good attracted gulls and egrets to the lake.  The gulls circled in the air just above the dam while egrets lined the shore and filled the trees. But I never saw any of them actually catch anything.  Photos revealed there were cormorants in the lake.  Meanwhile the creek and the feeder were deserted.  The sun was bright and the water placid but the air was bitter.

Finally at lunch songbirds appeared.  In addition to chickadees and finches, there were titmice, white throats and a Carolina wren.  The birds seemed skittish and I may have seen a hawk among the gulls earlier. I glimpsed one small duck on the creek and lots of geese. 

Ducks were starting to appear as I left to go shopping.  I wanted to look at birdhouses.  Nothing appealed, but I did get a suet feeder and a brick of suet with bugs and hot peppers.  We shall see if the birds like it and the squirrels do not, as advertised.  The sun had just set as I started home.  This time the smoky clouds were in the West while the rest of the sky was clear. 


No comments:

Post a Comment