Thursday, December 10, 2015

Fog into sun

The fog was heavy at dawn but dissipated quickly.  Before that, three egrets flew toward the Southwest, an ethereal white on white fog. There is a bit of weather folklore that a "January fog will freeze a hog," but today was warm enough to dispense with a coat. 

The creek was smooth except when a flock of cormorants came downstream.  Sparrows showed up before there was enough light to be sure which kind they were.  Fuzzy photos show one was a song sparrow and later I definitely saw a white throat.  Chickadees came early to the feeder.  As I was leaving, a mockingbird landed in the crape myrtle.

Unfortunately, I was stuck inside for way too much of a beautiful day.  When I came home in the late afternoon, that mockingbird again flew to the crape myrtle, but when I tried to photograph it, it was off to the porta-potty, and then gone.  At twilight, the sparrows were busy in the mulch again, and a female cardinal sat on the feeder.  Sunset was streaks of pink.

The warmth brought out one of those T-shaped plume moths which I saw on the window after dark.  I'm afraid I will not be eating home-grown peppers this winter.  Although two blossoms got fertilized and the plant set tiny peppers, the stress of moving into the drier air indoors caused them to drop off.  I think the plant will live through the winter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment