Saturday, December 31, 2022

Pelicans

The ice that lingered through yesterday had disappeared by breakfast.  Pelicans were fishing throughout a rainy, gray day.  Hoodies, buffleheads, cormorants, gulls, and a heron joined the fun.  

Between the wet and the warmth, songbirds were less enthusiastic about the feeders.  Plus I left the cover on the upper dish of barkbutter balls to keep out the rain.  And I brought the jelly dish inside for the same reason.  Still, I saw two kinds of warbler (pine & myrtle), two kinds of sparrow (song & white throat), bluebirds and blue jays, Carolina wrens, juncos, and brown headed nuthatches.  And those vegan goldfinches were entirely too interested in barkbutter.  They will, however, eat mountain mint seeds, it appears. 

During a lull, I scrubbed the windows to get rid of the flecks of debris that confused the camera's focus.  Yesterday, I finally downloaded a month's worth of photos the hard way.  I still need to decide which are keepers.  The cold damaged a lot of leaves and destroyed all the camellia flowers, but fresh buds were beginning to open.


No comments:

Post a Comment