Saturday, May 25, 2024

Dragon and damsel

The female bluebird was back at the seed feeder.  Both sexes are more interested in seeds noe that we're adding a mix to the sunflower seeds.   The female pileated made a brief stop but didn't find any suet.  Blue jays found the barkbutter balls.  An orange daylily bloomed.   The hummer returned.  A grown up skink put its head out, saw me, and retreated. 

At last, today more Odonata appeared.  Male and female blue dashers used the bamboo perches.  As did a female common whitetail dragonfly (Plathemis lydia).  A damselfly watched from the pool edge.  Maybe that's why I wasn't bothered by an in-your-face bloodsucker?  A small orange snout butterfly, an even smaller pale butterfly (probably an azure), and a black swallowtail explored the vegetation.  Wasps searched everywhere.  I rescued a ground crab spider Xysticus (sp) but I think I drowned a mother wolf spider with a ball of eggs.  




No comments:

Post a Comment