Monday, February 7, 2011

Cloudy bright

In the olden days, when cameras had f stops, I'd have called this an f11 morning. The clouds cleared around lunch, then started creeping back and by mid afternoon my camera wanted to flash.

Meanwhile, it appeared the feeder was finally empty, so I took it down and upended it to get the dust and debris out. There was a small paper wasp nest inside! I left the feeder upside down on the patio and when I came back with the seed bucket, the chickadees and titmice were all hopping around the feeder trying to figure out what had happened. I use just black oil sunflower seeds rather than a mix, and set the perch counterweight for just under a blue jay's weight.

Pelicans continue to patrol the creek. Back when we first moved here there were no pelicans but there were black crowned night herons in the winter. I haven't seen them in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment