Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Egrets at dawn

The day began with pink clouds and an egret flying by. I wonder why I haven't been seeing egrets this winter? Today they congregated on the sunny side of the creek by the dam as they have other years. Some years there would be more than fifty, but today only about seven.

The great blue herons were out but stuck to the shadows while there were any. Pelicans are cruising the creek as well as cormorants. Later after the egrets left, I saw flashes of white suggesting diving ducks, either mergansers of buffleheads in the area that's in shadow in the photo.

Three squirrels were out playing with the feeder and each other. The birdbath was frozen and so was I by the time I took the photo.

Since morning, overcast has been rolling in from the North, replacing the cirrus "mare's tail" ice clouds. Snow is predicted. And a white-throated sparrow was stocking up on the feeder. Around 4pm it was actually a bit more clear, but still with overcast to the North. A flock of robins passed through and I heard a kingfisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment