Sunday, November 20, 2011

Crows calling at dawn

I thought maybe they'd cornered an owl, but I didn't see anything, so maybe it was just their celebration of the new day. I could also hear a cardinal fussing. The sky was clear and pink in the East with a crescent moon overhead and a bright planet, apparently Saturn, leading the sun.

Canada geese passed on review, first downstream, then back. Crows are everywhere, playing on the wind, chasing each other and imaginary enemies. It is hard to believe that only a few years ago their demise was predicted from West Nile virus. I wonder if the ones I see have some immunity? This crow is trying to decide whether to hop down into the neighbors' shell midden revealed by low tide. It flew away instead.

The morning glories were burned by the frost but are still blooming. Honeybees are still feasting on the rosemary and I saw a white cabbage butterfly that survived the frost. Lots of squirrels are scurrying around. A flock of robins passed overhead and a flock of ducks hurried downstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment