Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cooler

Like yesterday, the clouds dispersed and now it is sunny. The creek is mirror bright though there is wind. I think the wind has less to do with the water surface than the tide. I think "slack water" is what I'm seeing - at high and low, when the flow slows before reversing. I will watch the tide calendar to confirm.

Two squirrels have been cleaning up feeder spills. No birds yet.

OK, now it's nearly noon and the creek has little waves. It's about half way between high and low tides, which would fit the slack water theory. This is also a new moon, so the tide range should be large.

Two black-back gulls are chasing each other around the sky. I don't know if it's a territorial dispute, play, or courtship. Finally one bird landed on the creek. Meanwhile a buzzard sailed overhead. I wonder if there's a hawk somewhere that I cannot see that keeps the songbirds from the feeder?

No comments:

Post a Comment