Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pelicans

All the time we were in Cancun, we kept seeing brown pelicans and now that we are home, they're out cruising the creek. Now that's a successful species. But I can't help wonder why the local pelicans stay here through the winter when they could be there.

I can now add frigate birds to my life list - very angular and menacing. I also saw a pair of wild green parrots and some kind of plover, and the ubiquitous herons and egrets, gulls and grackles. The gulls looked like the ones I saw at Cape May. The grackles woke us up every morning with piercing calls. There were boat-tail grackles as well as the regular kind in both purple and bronze.

One small lizard scampered out of sight one evening but otherwise I don't think I saw any wild animals. Oh, lots of dogs, all short-hair terrier-ish mutts. No cats that I recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment