Thursday, January 5, 2012

Still cold

The sun is shining and the squirrels are hopeful. One watched another preen, then they played chase, then right at my feet (but outside the window) one crawled into the watering can and the other hopped on top. The one inside scrambled back out and the chase was on. I wish I could have photographed it, but they were too close and the window frame reflection interfered. But it was a hoot!

Meanwhile the feeder hosted finches, chickadees and titmice while sparrows and juncos hopped below. Jays and a cardinal hung out in the bushes. A great blue heron sunned on the bulkhead across the creek. At lunch, the female kingfisher showed up again, but I don't think she caught anything despite several plunges. And another squirrel crawled in the watering can! I put water in the birdbath in case that's what they are after. It is warmer today after a hard freeze earlier in the week.

I spent an hour freezing out on the dock. A lone goose on the far bank heard the honking of a passing flock, cried "wait for me" in goose, then jumped into the creek and took off from the water. A hooded merganser pair paddled past, she in the lead by about 20 feet. The waxing gibbous moon rose over the pines as birds flew home to roost. Several photos were no good because my battery was dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment