Friday, March 30, 2012

Arthropods

A good day for bugs - I saw a bee fly for the first time, plus a green damselfly and more black dragonflies, the tiger swallowtail, sulfurs, and cabbage butterflies. And flies and bees of all sorts busy pollinating. I glimpsed a couple of beetles. A tiny spider with a green abdomen visited my finger. The bee fly is the honey-colored, furry fly with dark wings visiting the azalea.

An osprey circled. I saw finches in the redwood but no birds on the feeder. Clouds were blowing fast out of the Southwest and by md afternoon there was little sun.

I found a blog by another local librarian that suggests the black dragonfly that won't hold still for a photo may be a common baskettail. The damselfly, she says, is a male Fragile Forktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment