Friday, August 10, 2012

Overcast

The sky looks wet and gray, but no rain so far.  Sun is leaking through as the clouds speed off to the Northeast, only to be replaced by more.  There's a nice breeze.  When I sat down with my cereal a hummer was hovering under the feeder.  I turned for the camera and it was gone.  The usual suspects are on the seed feeder.

When I went to pick blueberries I passed a palemedes.  Several more tiny green lynx spiders were on the berries.  They must be a summer brood as I remember their ancestor being an adult at this time of year.  But then, I don't ever remember still having blueberries this late.  Was it that the warm spring increased fertilization or are the summer rain and heat responsible?

 A black swallowtail is doing its egg thing. Cabbage and sulphur butterflies are enjoying the rosemary. The tiger swallowtail keeps flitting by, just faster than the camera shutter.  I glimpsed an orange butterfly, probably a fritillary. 

A skink crossed the steps.  A red-spotted purple claimed space on the fig.  In the afternoon a pondhawk, a widow skimmer, and a pennant all hung out by the patio.  Sprinkles fell around 6pm.  Later the towhee and a Carolina wren appeared. 

No comments:

Post a Comment