Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sunny and pleasant all day

The windows are fogged but supposedly it won't rain today.  A skirmish between two hummers left me wondering why the feeder has more than one perch.  One drove the other off at least three times, wasting precious energy.  Finches and cardinals are on the other feeder and one finch is refusing to feed its offspring any longer.  A chickadee studied me when I went outside to photograph a sulphur butterfly that was suckling on the hibiscus. 

It is turning into a lovely day, not too hot.  The sulphurs are all over now, both the big lemon-yellow and the smaller velveeta-yellow with black edges.  Bees too, from tiny halactid to big bumbles, and I suppose flies as well.  A fritillary and some swallowtails passed through.  An osprey swooped low through the yard then cruised upstream.  A blue jay called its friends.  I think the bird under the morning glories was a wren. One of the hummers came back while I was outside and fussed a bit but decided I was harmless.  It hovered and eyeballed me.

Late afternoon, the hummer warz continue.  This one checking out the lavender has a striped throat.  A mockingbird is beginning to hang out.   A female cardinal with no mask seems very curious - a young bird?  It cocked its head to watch a dove forage.  Chickadees, titmice and finches also visited and chased each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment