Monday, February 4, 2013

Pale sky

The sunlight slid under the clouds at dawn but now the light is diffuse and shadows are blurry.  Finches were on the feeder and a squirrel was busy beneath.  A blue jay passed through.  What I believe is a juvenile eagle flew upstream, then came back a few minutes later.  It was bigger than an osprey, mottled brown and white, with a white tail. 

The Carolina jessamine has a blossom!  Around lunch time, a titmouse, a nuthatch, cardinals, chickadees, and a few juncos, came to the feeder.  On the ground, both species of sparrow, more juncos and a female towhee foraged.

At class this morning, I saw a woodpecker in the magnolia outside the window.  It was in silhouette so I cannot be sure which species it was - mid-size, no crest.  But that reminded me that I haven't seen many woodpeckers so far this winter.

A mackerel sky gave way to a muted gold sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment