Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Beautiful, chilly day

Clouds moved in last night and everything is wet but the sky is now cloudless.  The creek is mirroring the sunlit trees as it often does in the early morning.  I've noticed the water is most likely to be calm around sunrise and sunset, and very rarely in the middle of the day.  Is it slack tide?  No birds yet, but I hear crows calling.

Some clouds have appeared and the sun is occasionally blocked.  I glimpsed a titmouse on the feeder. A pelican just swooped over the house (and me) scaring my ancestral genes.

At least six pelicans have been working the creek along with gulls and cormorants.  A mallard and the little duck I saw yesterday and a female bufflehead paddled around.  I heard a heron and a kingfisher.  A cardinal and a sparrow are all the feeder birds that came at lunchtime. The pelicans are roosting on the boathouse again this winter.

A very cold afternoon on the dock brought sight of pelicans, herons, egrets, buffleheads, mergansers, kingfishers, a possible eagle and a possible ruddy duck.  The kingfisher is on the pole's crosspiece and a flock of hooded mergansers are in the water. People on the Hampton Roads Wildlife Enthusiasts Facebook group agree it is probably a ruddy duck I've been seeing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment