Monday, February 20, 2017

Colder

It was sunny but closer to average February temperatures.  Geese and one male hoodie disturbed the creek surface.  A Carolina wren watched from the cherry.  A white throated sparrow was up for breakfast.  Some of the buds on the Carolina jessamine were about to pop open. 

When I got home, a downy woodpecker and a chickadee were on the feeders.  I also saw a small flock of hoodies below the dam and behind too much brush.  Then, a bald eagle circled over the creek. 

After lunch, I went outside.  The wind was chilly though the sun was warm.  Both the dwarf and the full size daffodils were blooming.  Robins flitted among the trees.  The oriole perched high in the oak, as did a titmouse.  Downy woodpeckers were all over the oak and the dogwood.  A nuthatch on the suet tried to ignore me.  Three doves landed in the oak and started courting.

A female bufflehead paddled by.  Then a hoodie pair came past.  Then the chill drove me inside to submit my last observations to the GBBC.  I noticed when I bricked the feeder that the oriole had not eaten the jelly.  A bright planet hung in the West. 


No comments:

Post a Comment