Friday, February 24, 2017

Very warm

A female red bellied woodpecker came for breakfast, but I am not sure it was our regular visitor.  A wren was after mealworms and then a bath.  The yellow rumped warbler wanted suet.  Lots of white throats skittered around the patio. I saw an amazing behavior by a great blue heron that dropped into the middle of the creek to catch a fish.  Taking flight afterward was a struggle.

The day began bright but while I was gone in the morning, big cumulus with dark bellies appeared.  When I got home at noon, insects were flying.  I saw the first bumblebee of the year.  Honeybees and a cabbage white were also flying between flowers.  Later I found a ladybird beetle with a lot of spots, the Asian kind released as a biological control.

Gulls were everywhere and one hovered like an osprey before plunging toward the water.  Geese were tipping their tails in the air as they fed below the surface of the creek.  A red breasted nuthatch had lunch on the suet, then snatched a seed without the sparrow on the feeder noticing.  That white throat was busy driving off its own species.  The song sparrow preferred mealworms.  Then I noticed three flickers clinging to the redwood trunk.  They were silhouetted most of the time. I got a glimpse of the brown thrasher that's been avoiding me all winter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment