Friday, March 5, 2021

Big birds

The masked butterbutt got up early to have some suet before the boss warbler arrived.  But the next visitor was the male red bellied woodpecker.  Then the bluebirds came, and then the downy woodpeckers.  I spotted a robin up in the hackberry.  Five blackbirds arrived to despoil the suet, one starling and four cowbirds, I think. 

At lunch, the local brown thrasher was showing a guest around.  I hope that will mean baby birds in a couple of months.  (There may have been two of them around all along, but this was the first time I saw more than one, and there is no obvious difference between male and female.)  The afternoon wasn't as windy but it felt mighty cold.  The sky was cloudless and the creek surface had smoothed out.  I found a blooming daffodil and a Spring camellia blossom.  

A flock of cormorants fished all day.  Crows harassed the eagles' child.  A feamle hoodie I never noticed showed up in a photo.  Several pelicans cruised over the creek in the morning, but the young, brown pelican was alone while I was on the dock.  Well, alone except for the cormorants that kept popping up all around it.  A couple of buzzards circled over the scene.  And just ad the pelican finally caught a fish, my battery died. 



No comments:

Post a Comment