Saturday, January 8, 2022

Cold and clear

One little pink cloud floated behind the trees in an otherwise blue sky.  The creek was back to mirroring sunlight bounced off the trees.  It was not iced over but the birdbath was frozen.   Bluebirds appeared during breakfast.  Then the female red bellied woodpecker showed up.  I think it had ice stuck to its tail.  White throated sparrows arrived in a rush.  A Carolina wren was next.  Blue jays tried my patience with their grab-and-go technique.  And the camera didn't help by insisting on focusing on the background just because it was brighter.  Then the cat interrupted.  

From the back window, I could see a great blue heron standing in the creek below the dam.  I suppose the water may have been warmer than the air.  And the dam itself faces South so it offers shelter from North winds and reflects heat on sunny days.  I think there were pelicans during the morning but I only caught reflections in the computer screen.  In the afternoon I got a glimpse of a bufflehead and a cormorant diving. 

At lunch time bluebirds and warblers were still feeding.  A mockingbird tried the barkbutter but abandoned it for fallen suet crumbs.  It was replaced by a brown thrasher.  The red belly came back too.  Later the cat came sneaking back and I told it off.  


No comments:

Post a Comment