Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Female oriole

Apparently I went overboard with the camera today.  It all started with a pin warbler on the barkbutter dish.  Then pretty reflections caught my eye.  The sky was hazy, more white than blue, but the sun shone.  White lines reminded me that we live in the flyover state.  A Carolina wren also wanted barkbutter porridge.  The mockingbird was next.  It gave the barkbutter the "green eggs and ham" look.  

A handful of white throated sparrows showed up to forage under the feeder.  Later, juncos came too.  Still later, one of the sparrows took a bath. 

A brown headed nuthatch, maybe more than one, kept the seed feeder busy.  Chickadees and house finches did not mess with the little nuthatch. A titmouse peered down from the hackberry. 

I replaced the completely empty jelly dish and within five minutes the male oriole was there.  A female oriole hung around the feeders, getting a drink, and waiting for a turn at the jelly.  She was fairly pale which I interpret as being young.  I've seen female orioles where the yellow was shading into orange.  Speaking of orange, the orange crowned warbler tried to get some jelly too. 

Two pairs of hooded mergansers and a handful of buffleheads fished on our stretch of the creek.  An odd mallard looked a bit like a wigeon.  An egret flew past but I missed it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment