Friday, December 15, 2023

Flock of orioles!

The birdbath had ice at breakfast and I could see a thin, flexible skin on the creek away from the current.  Pine warblers came for breakfast.  They tried to take over the suet but the downy clung tight.  Then they argued over the barkbutter dish.  I saw what I think was a myrtle warbler up in the trees.  A mockingbird also lurked in the trees. 

Then orioles of both sexes began to collect.  I think there were three of each but I know I counted five birds at one time.  They watched the feeders from the bare branches of the wild cherry.  I confess that at a distance I can mix up pine warblers and young female orioles.  The orioles are bigger but that only helps when they are near each other.  But there's no mistaking the males.  Finally, they all swooped down together, then fussed at each other. 

The birds emptied both dishes, jelly and barkbutter, so at lunchtime I put out refills.  That brought in the blue jays.  They're too greedy to bother with rain fragmented barkbutter.  They want to cram five balls in their crop and beak.  Makes me wonder what they do with them. 

The day grew warmer than earlier in the week.  A Carolina wren got into the barkbutter balls.  White throated sparrows looked for fallen seeds and a drink from the birdbath.  A red bellied woodpecker hiked up a pine trunk.  There were lots of leafbirds on the trees and in the water.  Canada geese gathered on the far bank of the creek.   Two big turtles basked next to a great blue heron.  I saw one bufflehead drake and many mallards. 


No comments:

Post a Comment