Friday, March 29, 2024

Flowers everywhere

The sun poured through rents in the clouds and the creek was all aglow.  As the air warmed, the clouds dissipated.  Finally I got a satisfactory picture of the white breasted nuthatch.  Two mockingbirds wanted breakfast so I refilled the dishes.  But that brought the starlings and a half dozen of them gate-crashed all day.  A myrtle warbler prospected for windfalls.  The male downy showed his annoyance with the starlings by erecting his little red topknot.  The cardinals were courting. 

Pine trees started to catch up to the hardwoods so we can expect lots more yellow pollen.  Violets bloomed in the French drain but I didn't see any in the grass.  Money plant was all in bloom, especially around where the hibiscus will come up.  I caught a bumblebee in an azalea blossom.  A cabbage white flitted across the yard.  The winter was so mild that last year's fern fronds were still green.  The mosses, liverworts, and lichens were refreshed by the rain.  There were flowers on the domestic cherry and the dark purple iris. 

After lunch, I watched birds in the bright sunshine.   A red bellied woodpecker cussed me out which was foolish because I was keeping the starlings away.  A pine warbler hoped for some suet.  A brown headed nuthatch visited the seeds.  After I came in the red bellied woodpecker finally got her seeds. 

At supper time a ship of fools drifted downstream as they tried to restart the outboard motor.  The little boat looked way too full of people to me.  I didn't bother to take a picture. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment