Sunday, March 3, 2024

Springlike weather

Today was warm and sunny and full of birds.  A squirrel tried to burglarize the seed feeder.  The jelly was popular with warblers and orioles and was all gone by late afternoon.  Blue jays were happy the barkbutter balls reappeared.  The red bellied woodpecker thought so too.  

Pileated woodpeckers stuck with suet.  A handful of white throated sparrows looked for windfalls.  I spotted a red winged blackbird in the dogwood but it came no closer.  At least one pelican flew along the creek.  A couple doves walked around the patio.  Starlings ate everything except seeds. 

The long haired yellow cat was back, but seemed fascinated by something along the far edge of the pool.  Then it came over to the feeders and I told it to depart.  

I went outside to enjoy the day.  Two female orioles and a brown thrasher hung out in the budding red maple tree.  A mockingbird that I had been chasing with the camera finally held still in the tree.  Then I saw two flickers in the oak.  They displayed a white patch on the back at the base of the tail which I had not seen a flicker do before.  

I put out mealworms instead of more barkbutter balls that had been gobbled up so fast.  After I went back inside, a Carolina wren and then a bluebird showed up.  Clouds gathered.  A white breasted nuthatch came for seeds.  The short tailed squirrel got into something unpleasant that it tried to wipe off its face.  I wonder if it was a fragment of hot pepper suet.  Who knew a squirrel could be accident-prone?  The clouds made a colorful sunset.  


No comments:

Post a Comment