Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ice on the creek

Frost everywhere and more ice than open water on the creek. A titmouse and a squirrel came to breakfast while a pelican flew over the creek. It is very bright between the sun and the frost.

The sun and a South wind have warmed things quickly and brought clouds. I can hear jays, a wren, a titmouse, robins, doves and of course crows and geese. Something started singing "pretty-bird" and I traced it to the center bird in a flock of five. The bird actually bounced with each trill. The five were silhouetted against the sky and I had to walk around till the light angle changed to see that they were blue jays. Usually jays make a raucous twang, but this was actually melodic!

More mushrooms have popped up despite last night's frost. Something has been leaving shells on the dock. Today I found a mussel, oysters, and a hinged clam. While I was looking at that a hooded merganser male landed behind me then took off when he saw me. A pelican looked very dramatic flying up the creek with the sun highlighting it while the trees behind were in shade. Clouds keep rolling through and then clearing off.

After lunch, a male kingfisher perched in the sweet gum but for some reason the battery in the camera wasn't making contact and none of the pictures came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment