Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cooler

It's only supposed to get up to 90 today.  The sky is blue and the wrens are busy at the birdhouse again.  I was afraid the wind had discouraged them during the evening storms.  All the feeder birds are back, including titmice.  Squirrels and doves are hunting on the ground.  The hummer is back for fresh juice.  For some reason, the finches don't let this one join them.

Lots of cumulus puffs have appeared in the sky.  Then they went away again.  It's been a good day for insects.  An amberwing, a pondhawk, a widow skimmer and a Halloween pennant posed.  Black, tiger, and palamedes swallowtails hunted suitable plants for eggs.  Fritillaries, red admirals, and other butterflies flitted around.  Bees and beetles too - the rosemary is beginning to bloom again.  While I was swimming, at least three Carolina wrens came to investigate.

I heard laughing gulls, a kingfisher, a jay, crows, and some very buzzy bird - I thought it might be a mockingbird imitating insects.  An osprey soared but I did not hear it.  A grown skink scurried past the steps.  Earlier, I saw one out front when I went to pick figs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment