Friday, September 7, 2012

Cooler and sunny

Foggy windows held a surprise: a slaty skimmer dragonfly was hanging on the screen.  But my photos were fogged too.  The sun is up and a bumblebee is crawling into the morning glories.  The squirrel went by with another mouthful of pecans.

Lots of butterflies are around.  I saw a palamedes and a tiger swallowtail, a buckeye, a monarch, and a red spotted purple laying eggs on the cherry.   I disassembled the contents of the birdhouse - lots of feathers along with the sticks.

Chasing butterflies, I came upon an alutacea bird grasshopper in the cherry.  I never saw one before.  It was huge.  I suspect it is one of the buzz-makers that doesn't sound like a cicada.  The butterfly that I was chasing turns out to be a snout butterfly.  A juvenile night heron perched on the fish-cleaning sink on the dock. I found one of the thread waist wasps in the pool and had to rescue it twice.  If it fell in a third time I don't want to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment