Friday, September 14, 2012

Dewy morning

The creek was still and everything was dew covered, including spider webs.  I saw my first "handkerchief web" of the season.  The front yard is strangely bright without the oak.  The sky is blue with contrails.

I have been hearing pattering and gnawing in the attic and the exterminator says roof rats.  So, it appears we need to get rid of the fig which provides them access, and a snack.  This has not been a good couple of years for our trees.  (The exterminator also chased off my spiders when I wasn't looking.  Phooey.)

An egret and a kingfisher were down on the creek.  The green iridescent fliers are probably insects, not hummers. I saw both a cicada and a huge June bug.  A red spotted purple is still exploring the cherries and the swallowtails are still around. 

I should have taken my camera.  Sunset was gorgeous.  As I got on 264, in the rearview mirror, Norfolk appeared to be on fire.  I hoped to get home before it faded, but it was nearly done by the time I scrambled down to the creek.  And then the battery quit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment