Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Still gray this morning

Again titmice and chickadees were up first, cardinals arrived soon after.   Mid-morning, clouds broke up somewhat and the sun peeked out.  But other parts of the sky were heavy and dark.

Over the course of the afternoon the sky has cleared and it has grown much warmer.  But the pool is now covered for the winter. 

There is an orb weaver in the sweet gum in the front yard like the one I was watching on the patio.  I think a sharp-shinned hawk flew overhead into the next yard - a small bird exploded up and away.  I think I saw a kingfisher flying down the creek, but I didn't hear the characteristic landing rattle. In a parking lot, I saw a bronze grackle tagging after a purple grackle, who cussed it out.  The holly bushes at the Kempsville Library are full of sheet webs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment