Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Drizzle

A high gray tide is coming in under a gray sky.  The wind is up.  A chickadee visited the feeder. A junco hunted through the leaves that accumulated in the corner.  The female cardinal that appears to have difficulty perching was startled off the feeder by a male.  Sometimes I think I see a dangling foot under it.  It is now raining.

By noon the rain is coming down hard and the wind is roaring.  A gust stirred up the leaves in the corner.  That always reminds me of awkward lines from "A Visit from Saint Nicholas."  "As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly, When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky," which I always want to edit, though I appreciate the image.

In between waves of rain in the afternoon, the female cardinal came back and a nuthatch also visited.   Around 4pm the rain was so heavy it made a fog.  And at dusk a dark cloud swept North and extinguished all light.

No comments:

Post a Comment