Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pale sky, bright sun

It is windy and the sky is hazed with white.  It is supposed to get up to summer temperatures and I have the window open already to hear the birds.  One makes the feed-me cry of a fledgling but I think it is probably a mating call this early in the year.  Chickadees, a nuthatch, a cardinal, and a pair of Carolina wrens have been on the feeder.  Sparrows and squirrels in the mulch.  Actually, the wrens have been into everything.  Crows, geese, and possibly an osprey have flown past.  Dogwood and cardinal, and yesterday's tiger swallowtail are state symbols.

It was warm enough to eat outside.  The wind has dropped and the creek shimmers.  The sky is now blue except for fast-fading contrails.  Only chickadees were bold enough to dine with us. 

Wasps are flying.  A dark butterfly landed on the iris. The crows have been carrying on something fierce all afternoon, but I cannot see why.  I've been hearing a woodpecker and this afternoon I saw it in the oak. It is a red-bellied, but I cannot see which sex.  I could hear more drumming, plus robins and blue jays and I think the twang of a red wing blackbird.

Then a flock of golden birds began to eat the oak flowers.  The photos look like they are goldfinches.  Cormorants and geese are commuting home. The sun set with a lot of color but again no clouds to make it really interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment