Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sun and squirrels

The squirrels are into everything including the watering can. Cardinals and finches came to breakfast. Today's newspaper reports this is an outbreak year for brood II cicadas.  It also reports a prediction of high hurricane activity.

I swept out the birdbath and refilled it.  Chickadees showed up.  Bees, wasps, and cabbage butterflies are all over.  The wind is strong and the creek is showing a lot of current.  It is warm enough for a bathing suit.  An osprey and some gulls braved the wind.

It was warm enough to wake a skink!  A tiger swallowtail, a hair streak, and a rusty-colored butterfly joined the cabbages.  I saw a ladybug.  As I was sitting outside, only the chickadees were bold enough to visit the feeder, but I also saw bluebirds and robins, doves and crows, a red bellied woodpecker and a white throated sparrow that hopped up the steps. 

And when I came in, titmice seized the opportunity to visit the feeder. I came in because around 6pm a sheet of white slid in from the West dropping the temperature.  The sun is still distinctly shining, but muted.


No comments:

Post a Comment