Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sunny

Cardinals and finches are busy at the feeder with squirrels beneath.  A great blue heron soared overhead.  The spider is still where I left it last night so I guess it is dead after its second rescue. 

Cabbage butterflies are all over and a tiger swallowtail and an orange butterfly passed through.   But there are even more dragonflies.  I believe I've seen blue dashers, eastern pondhawks, red saddlebags, and slaty skimmers.  Some like the perches I put out but others never stop flying. It is hot enough that those that perch are obelisking. 

 The Carolina wren came to the feeder while the house wren sang outside its nest.  An egret soared over us.  Dragonflies are everywhere.  A tiny brown damselfly landed on the concrete next to the pool.  At supper, a titmouse came for a snack.   More egrets flew over. 

After dark, I staked out the area under the feeder and took pictures of our little night raider.

No comments:

Post a Comment