Tuesday, October 13, 2015

West wind

Sun then clouds then sun as the wind tossed the trees.  The birds stayed home mostly though the squirrels were active.  I saw a downy woodpecker on the suet at breakfast, but nothing on the seed feeder all day.  After lunch, the catbird was back eating beauty berries.

Nether honey nor bumble/carpenter bees were deterred by the wind, and I saw one small mason wasp, black with yellow bands, on the rue.  A small, black, velvety caterpillar bustled across the concrete.  A birdwing grasshopper flew in and proceeded to ovoposit around the rose. 

I pulled up the dead sunflowers and the morning glories entangled with them.  Somehow I dislodged a green hornworm - sphinx moth caterpillar.  Assuming it had been eating morning glory, I tried to induce it to crawl onto another that I had not uprooted, but had no success.  When I searched online I found a match that's fond of moonvine - pink spotted hawkmoth Agrius cingulata


No comments:

Post a Comment