Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Gray, mostly

The day dawned warm and wet and still.  I could see some sort of critters scurrying around but there was insufficient light to tell it they were birds or squirrels.  And that was the last wildlife I saw at breakfast time.

On the way out to lunch we passed a local weatherman being filmed in front of the Grace Sherwood statue.  The sky was full of drama as we returned - a swath of blue with the sun and opposite a dark cloud front.  The clouds won.  There were gusts of wind but for the most part the creek was placid. 

I could hear two odd critter noises in the front yard, a two-note cough and a two-note squeak.  The cough went to a woodpecker I finally saw hiking along the underside of a pecan branch.  I never did locate the source of the eek-eek.  A small beetle trundled across the driveway.  Bees were out in the damp warmth.  Later, a dove foraged under the seed feeder.

Mallards and geese paddled the creek while cormorants flew over and a heron landed just out of sight. Dark came early but as I drove home from a meeting the clouds reflecting city lights looked patchy.  I thought the sky was clearing but it was the dark of the moon so the sky was black.  


No comments:

Post a Comment