Friday, November 27, 2015

Sunny and still

A white throated sparrow and a dove showed up at breakfast.  Later, lots of chickadees were joined on the feeder by a titmouse.  Finches and cardinals hung around, along with a blue jay.  Squirrels frisked and chased.  Geese disturbed the creek.

There was a heavy dew overnight and the air stayed damp with no wind, so surfaces didn't dry out.  Nothing ate the mealworms I put out yesterday and they may have gotten soggy.  When I went down to the dock in the late afternoon, the bench felt damp and cold.  On the way down hill, I played with some puffballs trying to capture the green smoke. 

Mallards and hooded mergansers were out on the water and cormorants flew over the creek.  There were five males and two females.  I saw one male catch a fish.  Two goldfinches in winter drab hopped around a branch overhanging the creek.  A muscovy duck hung out with geese in the neighbors' yard.  When I came back up, the male downy was on the suet make soft keening cries.  I hope he finds a mate! Streaky clouds obscured the sinking sun but I didn't stay to see it set.


No comments:

Post a Comment