Thursday, November 26, 2015

Much warmer

We slept in for Thanksgiving.  The creek was a wavering mirror until the geese broke it.  Cormorants flew over.  Chickadees came to the seed feeder.  A female yellow-bellied sapsucker worked on the dogwood.  The bees were back.  Squirrels dug up nuts.  I think this year's crop of acorns was small. 

Later, the wind picked up.  I went down to the dock but not much happened.  The crows held a meeting atop the water tower.  Geese flew by.  I played with some puffballs I found in the grass.  The male downy came for suet.  As we ate lunch, I saw a cloudless sulphur butterfly head across the creek. 

In the afternoon, we went to see Stumpy Lake.  Wild roses were loaded with red hips.  Duckweed lined the shore.  The cypress trees were beautiful but all the birds I saw were a heron, egrets, gulls, cormorants, mallards and an LBJ.  I thought I glimpsed a turtle but I couldn't find it after we parked.

After returning home, I saw the male downy again. As dusk settled in, a male cardinal came for his bedtime snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment