Sunday, January 31, 2016

Warm sun, gusty wind

A pelican flew upstream at dawn.  Later I saw buffleheads mixed in with mallards and cormorants.  A great blue heron and a great egret flew past.  Two Carolina wrens tackled the mealworms I put out.  Soon sparrows arrived to do the same.  The white throats chased each other away from the food in some sort of pecking order, which the song sparrow ignored.  Regulars came for seeds and a downy and a butterbutt for suet.

Four doves walked up around mid morning.  A ring billed gull joined a line of fishing hooded mergansers while more gulls circled over them. Herons watched from the creek sides.  A squirrel played with something I thought was a pine cone. I glimpsed a junco and a titmouse but didn't get photos.

The female red bellied woodpecker came back mid day.  A Carolina wren decided it was warm enough for a spa day in the water I'd added to the birdbath.  While I was outside I could see a flock of gulls circling far downstream, well past where I can see the creek.  My being outside frustrated the birds but after a while some got bold enough to visit the feeders.  A mixed flock flew over and some robins stopped in the oak.


No comments:

Post a Comment