Saturday, January 7, 2017

Blizzard

Well, gusty winds were blowing snow, but it was certainly not a whiteout.  When I woke up and looked out about 5:45am there was perhaps an inch on the ground but nothing falling.  By 6:30 it was definitely snowing and unfortunately freezing to the North-facing windows.  Snow formed cakes close to shore but there was plenty of flowing water in the channel. Indeed, cormorants departed in a flock from where they'd been fishing. Despite the storm, the white snow raised the light level but I still had to fight with the focus - the camera was distracted by the snowflakes and the glop on the windows.  Still, I took 421 photos, of which less than half were in focus and included the bird's head. 

A butterbutt was up early.  Juncos and white throats followed, then a pine warbler and a red breasted nuthatch.  I couldn't put out jelly or mealworms so the orioles and wrens went to the suet.  The red bellied woodpecker was anxious but hungry.  A dove visited briefly but the wind drove it away.  The song sparrow moved right into the feeder for both food and shelter.  All the regulars were present, of course. A flock of crows tumbled on the wind over the creek for no reason I could see.

The orioles, at least, found the front feeder and I saw one tucked up against the South side of the house for shelter.  I put a pan of hot water out by the door where the snow couldn't fall in.  Robins, starlings, and titmice showed up in the back yard in the late morning.  I only saw one squirrel all day and I don't think it found any food.  A male towhee turned up, first I've seen in ages!  Finally the downy woodpeckers were too hungry to wait.  A goldfinch landed on the feeder hanger but didn't stay.  Starlings barged in and I yelled and threw bark butter bits at them.  And then, a pair of bluebirds investigated, but didn't find anything they wanted.  A blue jay hung around in the trees.

During lunch, a red-winged blackbird appeared.  He was, barely, able to perch on the feeder without tripping the counterweight.  In the middle of the afternoon he brought all his friends and relations to feed - more red wings, brown headed cowbirds, and one grackle.  The smaller birds had been greedy and testy all day, but the bigger birds had no manners at all and not a clue why the feeder kept shutting down on them.  After some time the smaller birds ventured back out and  reasserted ownership. Toward evening I took some pictures of the creek.  I saw a pelican and a bufflehead but it was getting too dark for the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment