Thursday, January 5, 2017

Predators!

It was cold when we got up - I could see ice forming on the birdbath.  Things were mighty quiet.  I thought it was the cold but then that feral cat sauntered through and stopped to watch the feeders.  I guess it saw me because it moved on.

About twenty minutes later a wren ventured out.  Then a yellow rumped warbler looked into the suet.  The white throats followed, and an oriole.  The creek was mirror-like except where duck wakes furrowed it.

At lunch time the birdbath had melted.   A red breasted nuthatch ate suet.  The red bellied woodpecker dithered while the downy woodpeckers feasted. Then they all disappeared except for a downy who imitated a bump on the feeder post.

Suddenly a Cooper's hawk swooped down and landed by the mealworm dish.   It flew over to the cherry with nothing in its talons.  It let me get several pictures before departing.  The woodpecker, which had sidled around the post to stay out of view, returned to life.

Cormorants, buffleheads, and hoodies fished on the creek.  I glimpsed pelicans and herons.  Despite the prediction, rain had not fallen by the time I returned around 9pm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment