Monday, January 9, 2017

Cloudy

I saw pink streaks in the sky from my cozy bed.  The sky grew more cloudy as the day went on which I hoped was an indication of a warmer South wind.  It was still way below freezing all day.  The entire creek froze overnight.  The birds weren't quite as frantically hungry today.  Sparrows were the first up.  I only saw one oriole at a time, but I think I saw both.  A cowbird pair made a brief return.  Two Carolina wrens ate everything.  Pretty soon juncos arrived.  Then a yellow rumped warbler and three titmice showed up.

While I was on the phone, I saw a crow chasing a hawk.  At lunch, a mockingbird appeared very briefly.  Three blue jays came close to get a meal.  The female red bellied woodpecker came back, then the pine warbler.  The downy woodpeckers also wanted suet but were willing to share.  It took me a while to capture a nuthatch.  

An egret landed under the bulkhead but didn't stay long.  I did some shoveling which uncovered bark butter bits that soon attracted birds.  Nevertheless, things got tense on the suet sometimes.  Thin clouds covered the sky. Late in the afternoon, I spied the towhee lurking under an azalea.  I grabbed the camera and he was gone.  Not long after that the light was gone too.


No comments:

Post a Comment