Friday, November 22, 2019

Cloudy

In the morning, nothing was stirring but the wind which roughened the creek and brought flickers of sunlight.  At lunch, I saw a few pollinators on the camellia.  Titmice sampled the suet.  A Carolina wren wondered where the bark butter had gone.  (I was washing the dish.)  The male downy woodpecker also had a go at the suet. 

In the afternoon, I could see a couple of turtles basking.  Mallards and geese had the creek to themselves.  The oak was lagging behind the other trees that had turned fall colors.  Even the Virginia creeper on its trunk was already red. 

When I went out to the kitchen, a fox sparrow was drinking from the birdbath.  I only saw a fox sparrow on one other occasion when one had stunned itself on a front window.  This one seemed to get along with the white throated sparrows, but not with a squirrel.  It hopped into the rose thicket and so did a white throat. About then a pine warbler began to work on the suet.  The last picture of the day showed the same sheet of gray stratus cloud cover as my first.


No comments:

Post a Comment