Saturday, July 11, 2020

Bat!

The hibiscus put out its first four blossoms.  The birds don't seem to have found the bark butter tub next to the hibiscus.  A goldfinch got a drink for the ant moat. 

I rescued a sidewalk tiger beetle and some bees and wasps.  The gusty wind caught them going to or from the mountain mint, I think.  A honeybee joined the crowd on the mountain mint.  I oiled the aphids on the milkweed. Twelve-spotted skimmers danced through the air scooping up bugs.  I saw a duskywing on the daisies but it saw me and left.  A tattered male slaty skimmer rested on a perch. 

I startled a couple of skinks but didn't get pictures. A brown thrasher was very noticeable as it hunted for bugs.  It struggled with the feeder for bark butter balls.  Blue jays had it easier but a crow worked hardest of all.  I had not been aware of how red the inside of a crow's beak was, unless the bird was injured.

About a quarter to 9pm, a bat flitted overhead three times, unless there were three bats.  It was well past sundown, cloudless, but not quite dark enough for stars.  Fireflies were everywhere.  The waning moon would not rise till much later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment