Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Heat wave

A Halloween pennant used one of the stakes to perch.  I decided I'd best be outdoors in the morning and inside by afternoon.  The blueberries were beginning to look depleted though plenty were still green.  Japanese beetles went after canna, hibiscus, and rose.  Maybe we need more milky spore?  I rescued a firefly and a couple of wasps.  My bee sting reappeared all red and itchy.  The mountain mint was busier than ever. 

The brown thrasher family ignored me as I floated in the deep end.  Of course, I couldn't take photos while treading water.  There were still three of them and one had a beak full of bug.  Another raided the bark butter balls.  So did a Carolina wren. The wren had a little stash under the nearest chair. 

The thermometer read 104°F at noon.  The newspaper was even more alarming. A Carolina saddlebags cruised back and forth across the yard under a hazy blue sky. The mountain mint was as busy as a grocery before a hurricane, not that there is any weather forecast.  A sidewalk tiger beetle dashed into the shade. 

At twilight clouds flowed from the West while I failed to capture the twelve-spotted skimmers roving the air at treetop height.  The sky flickered with far off lightning but nothing came of it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment