Saturday, February 6, 2021

Nice change

A warm sunny day, though it clouded over before sunset. This was one of the early mornings when the creek is still in shadow reflecting sunlit trees.  It wasn't long before the yellow rumped warbler discovered the suet.  I had a Zoom to wrangle so it was late morning before I got another look outside.  A bee was flying around the camellia.  Titmice packed away the sunflower seeds.  

By lunch time, wispy transparent bands of cumulus began to appear.  I saw a blue jay in a pine tree but it wasn't interested in anything but barkbutter.  A bluebird also watched from the trees. The warbler was still eating suet in between downy woodpecker visits.  A red bellied woodpecker tried for some suet but was interrupted by starlings.  A mockingbird didn't want to take on the starlings either.  Carolina wrens and white throated sparrows cleaned up below.  

When I went outside the sky was intensely blue.  A couple of female buffleheads fished together.  A turkey vulture circled and landed in a nearby tree.  It seemed curious about me.  The warbler and the starlings kept watch on me from the trees.  I spotted a robin in the redwood and a grackle in a pine.  Bulbs were beginning to send up shoots.  Turtles were out on the lake logs.  Thicker bands of cloud blew East and muted the sunshine, so I went inside.  


No comments:

Post a Comment