Sunday, February 28, 2021

Still warm

The sky was mostly overcast but there were flickers of sunshine and I saw the thermometer reach 68°.  The yellow rumped warbler stayed busy minding the suet.  Bluebirds stopped in for barkbutter balls.  The woodpeckers stayed with the suet.  Blue jays hunted in the trees and bushes.  Two mockingbirds showed up at the same time and didn't get into a fight.  I wonder if they were potential mates? 

I think this is the first year that the weather hasn't damaged the camellia buds before they were finished blooming.  Despite the warmth, pelicans and cormorants did not desert the creek for wider waters.  But I saw another dead fish floating and I think a buzzard spotted it too.  I caught glimpses of a hooded merganser. Turtles blanketed the lake logs and a pintail drake floated past them.  I caught a goose peeking through the fence.  




No comments:

Post a Comment