Thursday, October 12, 2023

Berry battles

Sunshine was predicted but I didn't see any till after lunch.  The creek reflections were dull, grayed, and muted.  A male cardinal sampled the breakfast buffet from barkbutter balls to dogwood berries.  A female downy woodpecker found the suet.  When I arrived for my haircut, the staff were holding a wake for a bird that had hit the window and apparently died.  I'm afraid it was a yellow billed cuckoo.  There was also a small black mop I was informed was a shih tzu puppy.  It wanted to eat my hair - should I be flattered? 

At home, I saw two mockingbirds squabbling over dogwood berries.  Other birds were flitting around in the trees and I could certainly hear blue jays.  Carolina wrens were scolding as was something I didn't recognize that sounded like an irate grasshopper.  I picked a couple more peppers.  And I glimpsed a kingfisher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment