Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Home at last

On my way to Northern Virginia last Thursday, I saw a flock of pelicans off Willoughby spit.  A circle of them were bobbing in the waves.  Others flew parallel to the bridge.  After the tunnel, it was nothing but  buzzards all the way.  I passed a road-killed deer.  There was a wildflower garden at the rest stop on 95.  It had beautyberry, black eyed susan, I think mountain mint, a familiar-looking composite gone to seed and other plants I didn't know.  A couple of ladybugs and a bumblebee were attracted to the oasis. I didn't take any photos. 

Trees in Chantilly were turning fall colors and losing leaves.  I saw another dead deer between hotels and yet another this morning.  The garden at today's rest stop was smaller and the only wildlife was a yellow jacket.  A little flock of house sparrows clustered at the base of a light pole.  More buzzards monitored the highways.  

When I got home I sat outside to appreciate the beautiful day.  The trees were mostly still green except for the dogwoods and hickory.  Camellias bloomed but the red asters were fading.  The polypore fungus was still huge and cream-colored.  Chickadees came to the feeder. a yellow rumped warbler wanted food but was wary of me.  Bluebirds flitted among the trees.  The quiet creek reflected sunlit trees.  




 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment